Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Day 27 - On Being Human

Today’s Nudge: Share a human moment you’ve had recently.


I feel things deeply, sometimes too deeply.  Sometimes everything just feels heavy, or my heart will physically ache with the hurt and suffering going on.  In those moments, I have to step away from social media. And then I'll usually binge watch something for hours.  Grey's Anatomy, Call The Midwife, Outlander.  I should be going to my easel and/or art journal and painting it out. Or write it out.  But for now a cup of tea and binging on a show is how I cope.

I have no way to help those that are hurting and in need right now.  Love and light, thoughts and prayers do nothing to aide them.  People are dying in earthquakes, floods, fires, and hurricanes. But we can't be fucking human enough to lend a helping hand and perhaps save a life. 

*kicks soapbox back in the corner*

I am going to make a conscious effort that when ever I am out I will try to do something human(e). Last week it was helping the elderly gentleman on oxygen.  A month ago, it was helping a lady who bought a cart load of stuff at Ross, but couldn't get it all to her car because she was on crutches.  Three of us, strangers, jumped in to help her get everything to her vehicle.  And you know what? I didn't hurt me in the least to offer and do one simple act of kindness.

So many times when I do get to go out, I am so wrapped up in my own world and thoughts.  I fail to pay attention to what is happening around me.  I turn away at the person on the street corner asking for a hand out.  But the simple answer is, the ones I see are there.  ALL.THE.TIME.  With the same sign, day after day, week after week.  Sometimes a couple of months go by and the same person is still on the same corner asking for 'gas money' to get to some distant place.  They give those who truly need a helping hand or a few bucks a bad name.  

But I'm deviating here.  When I go out, I want to go with eye and ears open.  I want to be able to offer someone that one small shred of humanity.  To show some that there are still good people in this world.  I can't help financially or physically to those places that are so desperately in need.  But when I am out and about, I can do some RAK for a strange in my midst.  It costs nothing to be human.  

No comments:

Post a Comment