Monday, September 11, 2017

Day 11 - Never Forget

TODAY’S NUDGE: Give something away. A printable, a mini class, a tutorial you did on YouTube, or sound advice about something your readership might benefit from.



I am deviating from the prompts today.

If  you have been reading here for awhile, you may have read my past posts on 9/11.  
It's a day I can't forget.  Not now, not ever.

I was supposed to be there that day, with my girls.  I was to  be our last adventure in the big city before we flew out and brought Grandma home with us.  I didn't know when I would ever be back to my beloved home town. So I wanted to take in South Street Seaport, Battery Park, Trinity Church, and of course the Twin Towers.

I never imagined that my oldest would have the nosebleed of the century the night before. Scaring us shitless and nearly had me taking her to the ER.  I REALLY did not want to take her to the ER, that hospital we would have gone to is NOT the best.  Thankfully it stopped after lots of pressure, cold compresses, ice, and lots of calming her down.  It made for a restless night with very little sleep.  But still we were all excited to go on our adventure.

I never imagined waking up on that beautiful morning and hearing that report come over the radio. Surely I was mistaken, perhaps I was dreaming? It must be something else, did I really just hear them say a plane hit one of the towers?  I ran to the kitchen and flipped on the TV. To our shock and horror, there was ugly black smoke pouring out of one of the towers.  I was stunned to see another plane approaching a few moments later.  I waved frantically at the TV in a vain effort to shew the plane away from the second tower.  I knew I had no control over it but I tried anyway to no avail, and it struck.  What the fuck was happening? 

We sat in silence and shock as events continued to unfold. We eventually made it out of NY a few days later. The take off and landing were their own set of events.  That whole week leaves me wondering what is our purpose here.  We should have been there, amidst all the chaos and destruction.  But we weren't.  We probably should have collided with that helicopter on take off, but we didn't.  We probably should have hit that small plane as we were landing, or at best/worst crashed as the pilot pulled us out of landing to make another approach.  I mean we were just about to touch down.  To this day, I don't know how the fuck he pulled it off.

But we are here, I'm here.  I don't know why, but there is a reason.  A purpose, even if I don't know know what it is. But I am grateful.  So many that day did not get to come home to their families.  Lives were forever changed that day, we were forever changed that day.

I will never forget :(

No comments:

Post a Comment