Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Priorities

"She really needs to sort out her priorities." ~~ Ron Weasley

That's basically me in a nutshell right there!  I just can't seem to get myself to do it.  I want to write.  I want to make art.  I want to blog.  But I just can't for the life of me get my shit together enough to do what I want to do.  What I need to do.

I want to write because one day I hope to be published.  I don't want to be JK Rowling famous, but I would like to be able to buy a few nice things.

I want to make art, to paint.  Not just for me, but to sell as well.  If anyone would buy it, I don't know.   But like my writing I'm afraid I suck at it too much.  And if I don't suck too much, I don't want it to become like a job where I end up hating or resenting it.  Does that make sense??

I want to blog (more).  I just don't feel like I have anything to "talk" about most days.  I suppose I could like blog about things in the world that strike a cord with me.  Like the young woman in Florida who got 20 years for firing a warning shot in the air, warning her abusive ex to stay away from her.  This in itself would take a whole post at minimum.  As a survivor of abuse, this really hits home.  Maybe this will be a post for tomorrow after all.

I just really want to figure out a way to do, to get myself motivated to do the things I want and need to be doing.

3 comments:

  1. The experienced writers often say to start at the top and work your way down, but maybe starting in a smaller venue/publisher would help build your confidence. Have you finished any stories? Run them by beta readers? It never hurts to try.

    The same was your art! How many people have seen what you do? Have you shown it to anyone?

    Of course, the problem with both art forms is the subjectivity. Some people may love what you write, paint, or draw, and others may hate it. But that's OK. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't finished any stories (yet.) The one I was working on for awhile, I think only 1 or 2 people have seen it, any of it.

      I've not shared too much of my art except what you've seen on Facebook and maybe a couple of pieces on my art blog here.

      My main problem right now though is prioritizing and motivating myself to work on either or both. I keep letting myself get distracted by mundane, trivial things. Add to that the feeling like I have no inspiration (still), so I get easily discouraged. Which makes it easier to allow myself to be sidetracked.

      Delete