Thursday, October 14, 2010

Surveying the Damage

I just was on the hill behind the house. WOW! I had no idea so much of the hill burned! Most of it is what I guess is underbrush. Fallen leaves, branches, pine needles, etc. But I'd venture to say 75% is burned. If I had to guess, the amount of area burned beyond the fence line, would have to be equal to the distance of my fence to the railroad tie wall, and that was what I could see. Most of the damage in the woods appears to be what ever was/is on the ground already.

I did see one or two small spots smoking on my side of the break. I don't find this comforting. But hopefully it won't spread to the hill again since most of that has been burnt already.

I only got 3 hours of sleep. The air smells of smoke which is just awful and is irritating my throat and breathing terribly. Add that to the vision of the flames dancing in the woods last night...

I don't think I can rest till it's completely out. I'll be checking it through out the day. It's expected to be windy today with gusts up to 20mph. Looks like no real rest for the next few days for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment