Friday, February 7, 2014

The Good And The Bad News, Everything In Between

I've held off on posting because I wanted some concrete, something definite one way or the other on my mother.  But the exact diagnosis is still elusive to me.  As far as I know so far, she had a CAT Scan when she first was in the hospital the early part of January.  That was followed by an endoscopy.  Which was to be followed by a stent implant operation that may or may not have been done, as well as the second endoscopy that may or may not have been done.  I do understand that she had a second CAT Scan and a PET Scan.  After her PET Scan, a day or two later, she was transferred to a nursing home/rehab center for at least the next 100 days as of Monday.  They are giving her physical therapy to get her back on her feet and I am assuming some better use of her hand since her mild stroke last year.  I was told she will also start chemo. The cancer, what ever type it is, is supposed to be located at the top of her pancreas.  Type and stage are still unknown at this point.   I don't know if the information is truly not known or if it is being withheld from me.  Hopefully at the end of her 100 days, she will be able to go home.  I hope that they have caught things early and that what ever this is, is treatable.  Whatever disaster our relationship has turned into, I wish her no ill or harm. 

Last June, my Beloved's Dad got put on medical leave from his job as a truck driver due to a spike in his blood sugar.  He is a diabetic.  He immediately began filing all the proper paper work and going to all the doctors, getting tests done, etc that were required for him to get back on the road and working.  His endocrinologist said he was one of the best patients she'd ever had, following her protocols and getting his blood sugar back under control quickly and better/faster than she even anticipated.  With that and all the paperwork filed, we figured he'd be back out on the road in no time.  Luckily during this time, he had his retirement benefits coming in.  So although things were tight, we managed.  But the red tape, the hoops, and government shut down.  The so called 'rules' for exemptions were disheartening, to say the least.  But he was patient and persistent.  Checking on the status of things.  Patiently waiting for things to be approved.  But the approval wasn't coming.  Thanksgiving came and went, so did Christmas.  His list was closed and still no word.

Here comes January, he's still waiting.  Getting through to some one that could give a straight answer was next to impossible.  Then, they get a letter saying that their social security will be cut due to his projected income (Even though he hasn't worked in 7 fucking months!)  He can't collect unemployment because he was still considered "On the payroll". Finally towards the end of January, he found out his exemption was granted!  YAY!  OH...but wait...now you have to wait for the papers to come in the mail.  FUCK!  More waiting!!!  This month of February was looking mighty bleak!  No money for bills or rent, and the food we have we'd have to make it stretch as far was we could. 

Thank the Goddesses!  Thank the Gods!  His letter came today!  He's already called his manager and they will be working on getting him a truck ASAP!  If all goes well, he'll be back to work next week!!!  Things are still going to be tight.  He has to drive to make miles to make money.  Still don't know how bills or rent will get paid yet, but everyone is happy knowing he is going back to work. 

We started this week with about 3 inches or so of snow!  This after everything just about melted from our Christmas snow.  Last night it started snowing again, by this morning we had 4-6 inches depending on where you stood on the property.  We have a winter weather advisory for this whole weekend.  It started up again today just after 5pm, and in the last 3 hours we have already gotten about an inch and a half.  It's still falling!  We could see up to 6 inches by morning.  The original advisories were calling for 3-9 inches.  Yesterday afternoon the news said 9-18 inches.  It was revised to 12 inches by Sunday last night.  But at this rate, we're looking at more than the 12 inches by Sunday if keeps falling everyday like this in these amounts.  It's a winter wonderland out there.  It's been so long since I've seen snow like this.  It's nothing like what is falling back East in NY and all over the Northeast.

I can hardly believe that on the 3rd, my Beloved and I have been together 5 years!  There was a time where I didn't think I deserved him or the happiness I have with him.  I would not have come as far as I have if not for him.  Here's to the next 5 years and the next 5 after that, and after that, and so on and so on. <3 p="">
On January 25, my big girl turned 21!  OMG!  Where has the time gone?  It seems like it was only yesterday that they placed this new born baby girl in my arms.  Her eyes wide with wonder and curiosity.  She looked up at me with her big blue eyes in awe.  (They've since turned hazel but are still beautiful and just as wonder filled as the day she was born)  She did not cry until they took her from me to weigh and examine.  My wishes and hopes for her now are the same as then, that she follow her heart and pursues her dreams.  To be and become what ever she desires and makes her happy.

Now come March 25, my baby girl will be turning 18!  When did time fly so fast that I'm now the mother of two young adult women.  Now she...she was a screamer as soon as she was born.  She was sure to let everyone know she had arrived.  I have the same hopes and wishes for her as I do for her sister.

I hope you all had a wonderful Imbolc.  May Brighid shine her blessings upon you and yours.




No comments:

Post a Comment