Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Starting a Revolution

I watched the first episode of Jamie Oliver's new show where he's starting a food revolution in Huntington, West Virginia. It was very moving. He really has a heart to help people eat healthier. He truly wants to help and the people like that radio DJ just add to resistance. Why wouldn't you want to see someone try to help your friends and fellow neighbors?

And honestly pizza for breakfast? Is this how they spend our tax dollars? They spend more money on prison inmates then they do to feed our children in school.

When my girls went to the local public school a few years back (we homeschool, "HE" wanted to put them in to see "IF they REALLY learned anything) I can tell you much of what was shown on the first episode was pretty much what I saw in the lunch room whenever I was up at the school. Lucky at the girls' school they didn't have neon pink milk, but they did have the chocolate milk. They sold ice cream sandwiches and ICEEs. Most of the kids I saw toss out the good food like their salad, veggies and fruit. They would inhale the pudding, processed food, and ice cream sandwiches. And on Fridays they would have pizza brought in from either a local pizzeria or Domino's. Now seriously...why order take out? Is that how you spend our tax money?

I find Jamie to be a true inspiration and wholeheartedly support him as he tries to make a difference. I think he can do it. I think he can make a difference, that he can make a change, even if it's in just one life.

In the words of Mahatma Gandhi, "You must be the change you want to see in the world."


1 comment:

  1. Jamie is just the best. Yes, he swears like a sailor, but his tongue is bit too big for his mouth, and with that accent...adorable! He really does have a passion for REAL food and I think it's wonderful that he puts in the effort educating people!

    ReplyDelete