Saturday, September 1, 2018

Saturday Summary

Sounds better as Sunday Summary, but it's Saturday so I'm going to roll with it.

We finally, FINALLY got some cooler temps.  It's nice.  There were a couple of days here I needed a sweatshirt and I can wear my jeans.  But there's a 93 coming midweek and I don't know about afterward.  I know Summer isn't over yet.

Momma T is going to be having her other knee replaced.  This one is worse, but the other knee was more of a priority. But doc said it's time, so they are going to get it scheduled.  She's looking forward to being pain free, but not looking forward to all the down time. And it's her driving leg, so she won't be able to drive for awhile.

I had to go in for a check up yesterday.  I hadn't been in over a year.  I went in resigned to be in and out in 10 minutes, without asking any questions because they get pushed aside by the "so when are you getting your teeth taken care of" spiel. 

To my surprise, my appointment ended up being almost an hour!  There is a student doctor shadowing the PA there.  He came in and saw me first.  He said he reviewed my chart and looked at my x-rays and wanted to know how my pain was. So I let him have it!  I told him all about how it's not any better, how I'm having flairs, pain and cramping in my hand and legs. 

He then told me about things that were seen on my x-ray that I was told were fine.  WAIT!  WTF?  I was shocked to find out I have bone spurs in my back at the lumbar and sacral regions.  Then he was tossing out words like early degeneration and myelitis, some thing about the discs I think.  He also mentioned neuropathy. 

So I took the chance to ask him about Fibro.  He said he doesn't know enough about it, just that it is a disease that is getting a lot of fanfare lately.  And since he is still learning, he didn't feel comfortable addressing it but would ask the PA.  And the young doctor said he couldn't rule it out, but it is a process of elimination disease.  They would need to rule out other things with similar symptoms.  So it's not a no, still a maybe.

For now then, I guess it's chronic pain, neuropathy, some kind of myelitis, early degeneration, and early arthritis.  I told them I wanted to avoid meds if I could. So the next answer was physical therapy.  Well I don't have money for that either!!! No money, no insurance.  The young doctor, when he was alone with me again, suggested yoga.  I wouldn't mind trying, I have all sorts of dvds on it.  But, I'm afraid of doing it wrong and hurting myself.  He also told me if I feel strongly about Fibro, that I should insist on getting checked for it.

Bottom line is, I have stuff going on that I didn't know about that is contributing to my pain.  I was told my xrays we fine and they weren't.  I feel deceived. I don't like that everytime I go in, no matter why I am there it comes back to my teeth.  Like I don't know they need taken care of!!!  Hello, it's in my mouth, I live with it every day.  He's like a dog with a bone and won't let it go.  He asked me again a couple of times at this visit and I told I'll do it when I hit the lotto. He thinks I'm brushing it off, but I have no money and no insurance to do it.  I'm have extreme anxiety with dental stuff and will need to be knocked out and not just the "Sweet Air" stuff.

This is where I am all for Universal coverage.  Then I can see a doctor of my choice and maybe even get my teeth taken care of on my terms.

Some times I feel like this PA is being rather judgemental of me because not having a job, or money, or insurance.  He doesn't know my story.  He never even asked. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you with the pain. All over my body, even aching fingers. Like you, I have a doctor who brushes it off with, "It's just a part of getting old." He did send me to PT but at $35 a copay there is no way I could make weekly visits. I go to qigong for my pain. I tried yoga, but it made me worse. Do some research first. Yoga is not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my worry too. I have always wanted to do yoga, but I would like to learn the basics from a teacher. I also thought about Tai-Chi, might be less of an impact.
      Momma T was going to PT for after her knee. Her co-pay was 80 with insurance before she met the deductable, then was 30. So imagine if you're uninsured!
      I'm definitely gonna do some research. On all the stuff the said I have, non medications options, and if yoga or something else is better for me. At least which ever I do, Momma T said we could do it together.

      Delete
    2. I did Tai-Chi for awhile. Too many movements for this old brain to remember. Qigong is slow and easy and really helps.

      Delete
    3. I wondered about all the different movements :D
      I will looking into Qigong then too! Thanks <3

      Delete