Thursday, August 2, 2018

There Was A Badger!

First let me just say, we have a break!  OMG and it is glorious!  Right now, we only have the ceiling fans on and there is a wonderful breeze.  This weekend we will be seeing some 80s.  I know it's temporary as we still have all of August to get through and it can be just as bad as July. But for today and the weekend, I will take it.  The smoke is still bad, but at least this makes it tolerable.

So I shared this yesterday on my feed.  I would have wrote a second post but I was so wound up, I was mashing keys.  My heart was racing, my hands were shaking. I took me a good hour just to settle down, but still was hyped enough to mash keys.

Yesterday afternoon, I let the dogs out as one does.  But since a couple of the fur babes like to wander and it was too hot for that I went outside with them.  The big girl and a wiener went towards the dog pen, the other wiener and the bassette just off the porch.  All of them came back pretty quickly without much coaxing.  It was hot after all.  But the border mix, he trotted around back of the 5th wheel.  No biggy I thought, he does that if he has more eh-hem business to attend to.  I gave him a few minutes and began to call him.  He's not one to ignore being called.

He might dilly dally, but he won't not come. But this time...he was not coming. I had no shoes on, so I had to pop inside. I figured I'll run in, slip on my sandals, and he'll be at the door.  Usually that is what happens.  But not today.  So back outside I go.  Heading towards the chicken pen. I get just to the BBQ grill and I stop dead in my tracks.

He's quiet, but in a pounce position.  Just on the other side of the fence is a big fat fucking badger.  And it's pissed. It's hissing. It's crouching.  I don't want move because I don't want to set it off and make it attack.  So I start screaming the dog's name. Whiskey, come here. Whiskey come! Whiskey...WHISKEY! 

Finally, he notices that I am calling him. Now he is torn between coming to me and trying to I don't know what with this badger.  I still don't want to make a move and I don't want to leave and get help.

Whiskey finally listens and comes to me and I get him inside.  And alert them that there is a badger.  We all three go outside so I can show them where it was exactly.  But by the time we got over to the spot, the badger was no where to be seen.

We rounded up all the in-outside cats and brought them in.  They were not happy to give up their shady cool spots they found to come inside but did it anyway.

I have never seen a live badger in real life other than in photos or dead on the road side.  Even though I wasn't close, I hope to never see one.  They can be very aggressive.

Once we came back in, I checked over the boy to make sure he wasn't scratched or bit anywhere. Thankfully he was fine.  Definitely not something I want to experience again!

2 comments:

  1. OMG!!!! That is scary. I had to look it up and found a picture of one baring its teeth. Don't blame you for shaking in your boots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an experience. And now we don't know if it has really gone or if it is still here. Every sound in the brush I hear I wonder if it's back lol

    ReplyDelete