Friday, August 10, 2018

Happy Hot Friday

It's not hot yet, but it will be.  We're in an excessive heat advisory until Midnight.

As of right now, the Weather Channel site is calling for 109 here.  Yesterday, in a part of Hell's Canyon it hit 115 and in Baker City, Oregon it hit 108.  I am curious to see what our outdoor weather reader will tell us at peak time today.

The smoke comes in waves.  Night time seems to be the worst.  The other evening it was so bad you would think there was a bonfire in the living room.  That's how strong it was.  They say less smoke is expected today, so that's why our temperatures could end up being worse. Nothing to block it out, even a little bit.



*****************************************



I took two of those free 24 hours class previews earlier this week.  WOW information overload!  So much good information, just a lot in two days.  It was two different classes on photography.  The first was pretty much I think on the basics like f/stops, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc.  The second class was primarily on lenses.  Both were super informative. The teacher was very good.  I looked him up and he has even more videos on YouTube. YAY for me!  At least on YouTube I can actually pause the video as needed and back up to review something.  On the free preview lessons, you can't do that.  You have to let the entire four hours or so play through and wait for that segment to come around in the replay. And if you pause, it jumps to where ever the preview is when you un-pause.  Now I'm not complaining.  I have never viewed a class preview here before so it was a new experience.  I would love to have bought the class, but can't at the sale price of $59 regular $79.

What I learned from the class is what type of camera I actually have.  Other than it's a D-SLR camera. I didn't know there was full frame and crop frame cameras and how that relates to taking a photo. That my kit lens that came with the camera is only frustrating because of me and not the lens.  In other words, I need to practice practice practice. Sure it would be great to get a lens with more zoom to really get that hawk picture. Which is the downside of my lens.  But for now, there is more I can do with it than I thought. 

So once the temperature cools to a more tolerable to be outside level, I plan to go out and practice with it.  In the mean time, I will consolidate the notes I took and watch more videos (and take even more notes).  I can't buy the new lens, don't know when I will be able to. And I have no one I can borrow a lens from.  Even if I did, I don't think I would.  I'd be too worried I would break it and then I'd be screwed. I mean it's not likely because I'd be overly cautious but still, not a chance I'd be willing to take.



2 comments:

  1. Oh, man, you guys really have it hot. I shouldn't be complaining with our 90's. Just waiting patiently for autumn to arrive. Boy am I going to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was ready for Autumn a couple of weeks ago LOL! In the 7 years I have been here, we have never been this hot for this long. I am afraid we are going to have a very hard winter as a result. We dodge it last winter. Every farmer was sure last year was going to be worse than the year before. Part of me thinks we are going to make up for and then some this year.

      Delete