Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Day After Sandy

Well, it's post birthday even though my Grandma used to say it was your birthday all week :D  And I don't feel any older LOL.  The day after my birthday Sandy hit my hometown and surrounding areas.  I sat pretty much glued to my computer watching for any updates from friends, family, or anyone else posting news or pictures. 

My heart ached to see my hometown flooding even though it wasn't anywhere near the devastation other places experienced.  The parks had downed trees, one park had that has softball and soccer fields had their stadium pole lights come down.  There was a downed power line around the corner from where I grew up.  Over all it seems like damage to my old neighborhood was minimal. 

But seeing homes that were destroyed by fire or waves elsewhere is just heartbreaking.  Several people I know are expecting to be without power for the next 7-10 days!  Looting has begun occurring in some areas, Coney Island was mentioned.  It's sad that in a time of such devastation people become stupid and opportunistic and try to rob homes and businesses.  Isn't it enough that they have suffered a loss, why do idiots have to compound the situation?

I also learned that my loved one was released home from the hospital where they had been to have their stent replaced.  Since they weren't critical, they were sent home.  I am both relieved and worried at the same time. 

I hope those of you in Sandy's wake fared well, the same for any friends and family you may have in her path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment