Saturday, July 23, 2011

On Harry Potter

Yesterday was a good day, no a great day! Went to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2" with my Beloved and Sister 3. It was supposed to be a double date but her beloved couldn't make it, family stuff came up last minute. Then afterwards we went to dinner where good food and good laughs were had by all. I have to say, that if the conversations and all the laughing we did were done in front of the Ogre...we would have been scolded like 5 year olds playing with their food or something. But we had fun and that's what matters.

What can I say about the movie? It was awesome! I got teary-eyed yes. How could I not? The scene with Snape that all the die hard fans questioned worked beautifully. Alan Rickman was amazing. To see Snape in that way was just so wonderful, it gave me a new love for the Professor. (Yes I read the book after it came out, wish I read it again before I saw the movie...but still) And the scene of Molly vs. Bellatrix...OMG AWESOME!!!! I wish Ginny had some more screen time/dialogue as well as Luna. I wish they had expanded a bit on the whole Percy back with his family too. To see our beloved Hogwarts in ruins was sad and heartbreaking.

All in all, it was a fantastic movie. But for true Harry Potter fans it will never be the end, as Neville said "He is in our hearts." Whether there will ever be a "before Harry" or "after Harry" written by Jo we don't know but a bit of Harry lives on in all of us.

There was a time where I was dead set against Harry, but not of my own choosing...I was following someone else's lead. Back during a time when I almost wasn't allowed to think for myself or make my own decisions without being criticized by those around me. During a time when my oldest hated to read with a capital H! She discovered Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, then moved on to Chamber of Secrets and before I knew it my big girl who hated reading now couldn't stop. She read through every book that was available at the time and we got the rest as they were released. Curious as to why of all books she would go back and re-read these over and over, I picked up Harry and fell in love too. Though I haven't read them more than once, I am glad that I did read them. I am glad my girl found Harry and now enjoys reading.

Like many others, I am grateful to Jo for writing Harry's story. For inspiring not just my child but thousands of children to read. For inspiring people like me to want to write. Thank you Jo for bringing Harry to the world.

I highly recommend seeing the movie (more than once!!). Definitely worth every second.

1 comment:

  1. I hate to admit to anyone that I've not seen any of the Harry Potter films, but it's true. I've not seen one. I am glad to see that you are finally at peace.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete