Monday, December 31, 2018

New Year's Eve

In all likelihood, it will be a quiet one around here.  In which we may or may not even stay awake long enough to see the ball drop (on TV of course!).   I don't have any of the usual fare on hand to ring in the new year either. No herring, no cabbage, no Pączki which around these parts are only sold around Fat Tuesday if you're lucky.  

I might have a silver coin around here somewhere though.  Hard to keep up with the traditions I grew up  with.  I can maybe find the herring I like, but with me being the only one who'd eat....seems like a waste to buy it because I will not eat it all before it goes bad.  No one around here sells the really small jars like my mom used to get.  Back in Brookly, I could get Paczki whenever I wanted them living in a Polish neighborhood.  And as much as I'd love to have some stuffed cabbage, I don't know how to cook small when it comes to that, and really don't feel like going to the store.  

Eh, that's okay really.  I never really noticed an improvement in luck status by doing or not doing some of these  traditions.

I'm not making any resolutions.  I stopped doing that forever ago. Back in 2011 I guess it was, I discovered choosing a word of the year.  So far, most of the words I've chosen have been spot on. I like to think the words that have chosen me have been more powerful.  Like when I chose FREEDOM back in 2011. Or DREAM, a couple of years....I sure did a lot of that.  This year was SURRENDER.  I didn't know what to expect with that, but I do think I did some surrendering this year.

Next year's word is SACRED.  It chose me. And it scares the shit of me.   I believe in Latin it is Sacre, which if you move letters around you have the word scare or cares.  HMMM!  

Some things I'd like to accomplish this year: 

  • Write more.  Maybe a goal of 250 words a day(ish).
  • Make more art.  I'm taking part in Lifebook this year. That should have me making art all year long. Plus I want to work through Effy's Boot Camp and some of the other lessons I have saved.
  • Take more photos.  Learn my camera and get comfortable with it.  I mean shit I've only had it for 3 years!  It's about time I do that, I think.
  • Do more of what I love and what makes me happy.  IE: Read more books!
  • Keep listening to my body and practice self care.  Eat better when possible, rest when my body says rest, definitely try to drink more water.
Will I do all that I want to do, maybe I don't know.  I usually start off with the greatest of intentions.  Then the calendar flips and I don't do much of what I intended to do.


And now, I want to take a moment to thank all of you how have stuck with me since I've been blogging here.  Thank you for your words of encouragement and advice.  

I  wish you all, followers and passers by alike, a very Happy New Year!  May it be happy, healthy, and prosperous for us all.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect word for the upcoming year. I don't pick a word for the years, but I have already started leaning more towards the sacred. I hope your year is wonderful. So glad to have been your friend through all these years. Thank you for being there for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, you have been a beacon for me in the darkest times. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and am so blessed to have you as my friend.

      Delete