Friday, November 23, 2018

Not According To Plan

All in all, I think it was a good day (to a point).

I pushed through my pain to make sure we had all of our side dishes for dinner.  Momma T made the salad the night before while at the dining table.  She can't stand for long, she's 3 1/2 weeks out from a full knee replacement.  And I had her do the same to prep the sweet potato casserole as I can get heavy handed with the butter :D   Sister #2 and her honey made the turkey and 2 smoked turkey breasts. 

I was feeling a bit down because I wish I knew how to make my maternal Babci's stuffing.  She passed when I was 11.  Even though I was there every time she made it, I never really caught on to all the steps and so I don't really know how to make it.  There is no one to ask, because I think it was just one of those things no one thought to needed to know.

We all sat down to eat, it was enjoyable. Everyone was talking and eating and having a relatively peaceful meal.  Until some unexpected guests walked in.  No hey we're on our way.  No hey did you guys eat your dinner yet.  NOTHING!  Then they proceeded to watch us eat.

It was like someone dumped a bucket of water on our meal and no one could finish.  It was funny in a non comical way to watch everyone one by one try to take another bite and then slowly put their fork back down.  It felt like being in a store's holiday window display.  It was very uncomfortable and unnerving.   After a bit, we all just kinda gave up trying to finish our meal.

Plates got cleared. And the table mostly vacated.  Attention turned to the unexpected guests.  I am thoroughly impressed with how everyone held their tongues and didn't cause a ruckus.  Even though most were on slow simmer.

First we've seen them in almost a year.  None of them even asked Mom how she was feeling or how she was recovering.

It was all just awkward and uncomfortable.  But at least it all came and went without incident.

At least there's leftovers we can enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that is terrible. People can be so rude. Sorry after all that after all your preparations your dinner was ruined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried to make the best of it. I think it was handled well.
      Today we get to do Act II, with desserts. Though this time they are expected, but it doesn't mean it will feel any different.

      Delete