Thursday, March 26, 2020

End of the World As We Know It?

How we doing folks?
Hanging in there?
Staying safe? Six feet apart? Staying home?

We pretty much self imposed staying home about two weeks ago,
give or take a couple days.
We're considered an at risk household.  Asthma, chronic bronchitis,
diabetes.  So we're taking precautions.

Our governor finally manned up and issued the Shelter in Place order
for the state.  It is in effect for the next 21 days as of yesterday.

We need a few odds and ends.
Our most pressing need is dog and cat food, but more so the dog food.
Five dogs, two large breed, one mid, and two Wieners. 

We need some milk, creamer, ground beef, chicken, rice, and pasta.
Don't know what or if we will find anything.
But food, banking, doctor, vet, and essentials are the only thing we're allowed
to go out and travel for.

We decided it's a good time to try starting some seeds  indoors.
With all this going on, and grocers being out of goods because people are
panic buying every time the shelves are stocked. Gods forbid you need something
in your cart....I've heard the stories of people getting the stink eye because they
are buying a couple of cans.  Not cases, just cans...calm the fuck down people!

I heard another story where a lady went to a walmart and found some ground
beef.  Was going to buy six pounds of it.  Got to the check out and was told she
could only have one pound.  She told them she has a family of six to feed. How
is she supposed to feed six on one pound. They would not budge, so she bought
none.  I didn't know stores were limiting things like that.  Maybe it was a one
time/place thing. Maybe it was a mistake.  I dunno, but I didn't think we were
to the point of rationing food purchases, even though people are stupidly buying things.

So how about that stimulus check?
I probably won't see one.
I don't/can't work.
So I haven't filed taxes in 8 years.
But what if I did earn a small income?
But not enough to file taxes on?
I still wouldn't see a check.
So while it's a great plan and will help many people,
It won't help ALL the people.
It won't help people like me. It won't help the homeless.

Okay off that soap box........

I'm worried about people in my home state.
NY is getting hit so hard.  I have family there.  I have friends there.
I have friends in the Nursing field that I am worried about.
I feel helpless.  All I can do is hope they all stay safe and come out of this alive at the end.

What can I do?  I am going to help mom make masks!
We have at least one care home that can use them.  If I can catch the neighbor, I'll ask her
if her care home can use them as well. We'll also be checking which facilities have a need and
well do our best to get them there.  It's not much, but it's something.


I pray you all take precautions.
I want you all alive at the end of this thing.
Be smart! Stay safe!! Stay home!!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's a worrying time alright. Good luck laying in the groceries and supplies you need, I hope you find everything. Stay safe and be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! I hope we can too.
      We placed an order with a local grocer that we are supposed to be able to pick up tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
      You and yours stay safe too. 💙

      Delete
  2. I read where if you got a 1099 form from Social Security you will get a check. I hope so. I don't make enough to file either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get it Mary.
      I have read that people on SS or SSI will get it.
      But then, there are so many conflicting reports on it all I don't know what to believe.

      Delete