Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Yesterday

It was an emotional day yesterday.

I watched as a woman had her greatest wish and her biggest fear happen at the same time.

Sister #2 gave birth yesterday to a beautiful baby girl.  For the safety of baby and momma this was a planned early c-section as momma could not by any means have gone into labor. So baby had to come out at 36 weeks. 

Before momma could even hold the wee lass, she had to be whisked off to the NICU for breathing issues.  They got her stabilized in every other way but her breathing.  By the time I saw her she was breathing like she had run a little marathon.  And she was trying to cry or whimper, I'm not sure which.  I've never seen a baby hooked up to so many things like she was.

By noon they came in to say that the breathing wasn't improving like they had hoped so she had to go by Life Flight Ambulance to a level 3 NICU for extra support.  An hour later they wheeled in a gurney that was loaded with the incubator and various equipment.  I've never seen such a thing.  They allowed momma moment to reach in and say goodbye to her little miracle. 

It broke my heart to see them separated like this.  But there was nothing any of us could do.

We were assured that everything else was fine. She just needed some extra help and a particular type of medicine to help her little lungs.  Something that this hospital just didn't have.  They were sure she would be off the vent within 24 hours or less even.  I haven't heard an update yet today on how she is doing.  But no news is good news they say.

Momma summed it well it was like a bad episode of Grey's Anatomy.  Well, maybe not an episode but definitely a bad scene.

I've never been through anything like this nor have I witnessed.  I was empty for words to say.  I couldn't promise what I didn't know.  So all I could do was just be there, along with everyone else. Feeling helpless.

So if I might tug on the threads the bind us all together, could I ask you to say a prayer or make a wish, maybe light a candle that all will be well.  That momma can hold her greatest wish soon and take her home.

Thank you and many blessings.

3 comments:

  1. Will definitely light a candle and pray for the wee one and her mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed, best wishes to everyone and invocations to Brigid that baby will be fine and back soon in her mother's arms.

    ReplyDelete